Monday, October 25, 2010

Why Ronan?

I've been asked why we named our 3rd son Ronan.  Well, here's the story.  Just remember, you asked.  :-)

About 10 years ago, Brian and I were enjoying an evening of flipping through tv channels.  We stopped on PBS to see what was showing.  It was a recorded concert of The Irish Tenors.  They were fantastic!!!!  The flipping ended and we watched the whole thing.  One of the singers was highlighted through clips between songs.  We were amazed at all he had accomplished in life despite handicaps.  He was born with a congenital defect in his legs.  He never let it slow him down or stop him from doing whatever he wanted.  He was a rowdy, "trouble-maker" throughout his early days.
At the age of 20, he was involved in a car accident that damaged his legs further and the doctors had to amputate both legs below the knees.  Once again, he never let it slow him down.  He was back to college in a very short time (can't remember if it was 6 weeks or 6 months, a very short time for healing!!).
He participated in the Paralympics, over time winning 18 Gold medals and setting 14 World Records (9 of which he still holds today, so I'm told).  He was an avid horseman, riding, jumping and competing.  He grew up on a small family farm in Ireland.  He worked with his father doing chores and they would sing together.  He sang around the local area but it was for enjoyment.
After receiving his Doctorate, he practiced Sports Medicine.  In his early 30's, he was encouraged to try out for a tv show called "Go For It" (an early version of "Britain's Got Talent, I think).  Surprising a lot of people, he won!!!!  And he once again switched careers.  He was invited to join the Irish Tenors and they produced some wonderful music!!!  They sang everything from Irish ballads and traditional songs to classical opera to......well, pretty much everything.  He has now gone on to a solo career and we love everything he has produced!!!  Being able to see him in concert was......well........ amazing!!!!!
Brian and I had been thinking about baby names (we weren't expecting at the time, though).  We had used family names from Brian's side for the 2 oldest boys and we wanted something to honor my Irish heritage.  After watching this program, we knew that we would be naming our next son after this incredible man, Ronan Tynan.  We hope that our Ronan will accomplish many, many things in his life.  If he accomplishes even half of what Dr. T has, he will have a well-spent life!!
In Irish, Ronan means strength.  It is a strong name!!!  Over the past 8+ years, we have found that he is aptly named!!!!  Our Ronan is a strong-willed, stubborn, passionate, rowdy, rambunctious, loving, caring boy.  He reminds me a lot of the man he was named for!!!
Just in case you're wondering, we also chose an Irish name for his middle name.  Machen.  It was my Grandma's maiden name (I don't think he would have appreciated being named Nettie after her!!).  It has gone through some spelling changes since my 3rd great-grandparents came over.  I think the original spelling was Machin.  I would have to look that up, though.

So there you have it.  Why we named him Ronan!  :-)

1 comment:

Darilyn said...

Yay, thanks for the story. I love it. I sometimes wished my kids had stories for their names other than, "we liked them."